It must have been a weekend as we were all about the house involved in various activities early in the afternoon, when there was an almighty BOOM and all the windows rattled and the house shook. Before we could think, Dad came running into the house to get to the bathroom and water as he was burned from head and arms to face and chest. At that stage water was NOT to be used as first aid for burns and the sight of Mum fighting Dad to prevent him from getting to the cooling water was just awful to see. We were terrified! He was black, all hair burnt off and skin peeling. He had been lighting a fire out in the paddock and thrown kerosene to get a good fire going. Of course, the fire had lit the kerosene straight back to his body and it was weeks before he recovered. We all had learnt a life-time lesson about safety around fires, inside or outside.
Marie: And yet another story!
It seems to be a trait of the elderly to tell stories and often repeat the same stories. As our family has a major Reunion in February 2015 I will tell a family story each day and NOT repeat it for 100 days. I will use christian names from our earlier generations as pseudonyms.